Such therapy has been around for centuries. For instance, this 1950’s Throat Tablets 3 Oz bottle contains:
- Menthol and Benzoic Acid Flavored with Oil of Peppermint, Eucalyptol, Methyl Salicylate Synthetic and Sugar.
More recently, however, auctioneers have many choices for such remedies.
See here some sample throat remedies with their ingredients listed:
Grether’s Pastilles have three different varieties:
- Glucose syrup, sugar, gelatin and agar-agar (gelling agents), citric acid, glycerine, natural blackcurrant fruit juice concentrate. Colored only with natural black currant fruit juice.
- Lycasin, gelatin and agar-agar (gelling agents), citric acid, glycerin, artificial sweetener acesulfame-k, natural blackcurrant fruit juice concentrate. Colored only with natural blackcurrant fruit juice.
- Malitol syrup, gelatin and agar-agar (gelling agents), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), glycerin, redcurrant juice, citric acid, passion fruit juice, passion fruit flavoring, coating (vegetable oil, beeswax), natural coloring, and sweetener (acesulfame-K).
Sambucus (elder or elderberry) Elixer:
- Elderberries, dried elderflowers, dried mullein leaf, dried boneset, fresh chopped ginger, ground cinnamon, cardamom, lemon, brandy (or some other alcohol) and honey.
Tylenol Sore Throat liquid:
- Anhydrous Citric Acid, Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium, FD&C Blue 1, Flavors, Polyethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Purified Water, Sodium Benzoate, Sorbitol, Sucralose, Sucrose.
Chloraseptic Sore Throad Relief:
- Benzocaine (15 mg), Menthol (10 mg). Inactive Ingredients: Corn Syrup, FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Red 40, Flavor, Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Soy Lecithin, Sucrose, Water.
Cepacol Sore Throat Oral Pain Relief:
- Acesulfamate Potassium, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, D&C Yellow 10, FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090), Flavors, Isomalt, Malitol, Propylene Glycol, Purified Water, Sodium Bicarbonate.
Sucrets Sore Throat Lozenges:
- Corn Syrup, FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090), FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035), Flavor, Menthol, Propylene Glycol, Water (Purified), Sucrose (Sugar), Tartaric Acid, Titanium Dioxide.
Thayers Honey-B-Anise Sore Throat Syrup:
- Bee propolis, certified organic honey, purified water, vegetable glycerin, anise oil.
Ricola Herb Throat Drops varieties:
- Citric Acid; Extract of Lemon Balm and Ricola’s Herb Mixture (Elder, Horehound, Hyssop, Lemon Balm, Linden Flowers, Mallow, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme, Wild Thyme); Natural Color (Beta-Carotene); Natural Flavors (Lemon Oil; Peppermint Oil); Starch Syrup; Sugar.
- Menthol (2 mg), Color (caramel), Extract of Ricola’s Herb Mixture (Elder, Horehound, Hyssop, Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) Extract, Linden (Tilia Cordata) Flowers, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Peppermint, Sage (Salvia Officinalis), Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris), Wild Thyme, Honey, Natural Flavors (Honey, Peppermint, Starch Syrup, Sugar.
- Menthol (2.2 mg), Aspartame, Citric Acid, Extract of a Ricola Herb Mixture (Elder, Horehound, Hyssop, Lemon Balm, Linden Flowers, Mallow, Peppermint, Sage, Thyme, Wild Thyme), Isomalt, Natural Cherry Concentrate, Natural Color, Natural Flavors.
Jakemans Throat and Chest Lozenge:
- Active Ingredient: Menthol (5mg). InWheat Syrup (contains wheat), Sugar, Honey, Maleic Acid, Beta Carotene (Vitamin A) (coloring), Lemon (Citrus Medica Limonium) Oil (flavoring), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Natural Flavor.
Bactimicina Sore Throat Lozenge:
- Benzocaine 15mg, Dextrose, FDandC Red #40, FDandC Yellow 6, flavor, glucose, glycerin, sucrose.
Ludens Throat Drops:
- Pectin (1.7 mg), Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Corn Syrup, FD&C Blue 2, FD&C Red 40, Flavors, Malic Acid, Sodium Acetate, Sodium Chloride, Soybean Oil Used as a Processing Aid, Sucrose, Water.
Cepastat Oral Anesthetic Lozenge:
- Phenol (29 mg). Inactive Ingredients: Antifoam Emulsion, Caramel, Eucalyptus Oil, Gum Crystal, Menthol, and Sorbitol. Each Lozenge Contributes Approximately 8 Calories From 2 Grams of Sorbitol. Menthol Eucalyptus Flavor Cepastat Lozenge Contains Twice the Amount of Active (Phenol) as Cherry Cepastat Lozenges.
And there are many others.
With the wide variety of throat therapies, it may be prudent to check with a physician before taking any product to ensure the ingredients match the exact problem causing the throat irritation, and that none of the ingredients are likely to cause adverse reactions.
We previously wrote more generally about auctioneers and voice care here:
Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, CAI, AARE has been an auctioneer and certified appraiser for over 30 years. His company’s auctions are located at: Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, Keller Williams Auctions and Goodwill Columbus Car Auction. His Facebook page is: www.facebook.com/mbauctioneer. He serves as Adjunct Faculty at Columbus State Community College and is Executive Director of The Ohio Auction School.