AARE, ATS, auction, auctioneer, auctioneers, auctions, BAS, CES, classes, continuing education, Designation Prerequisite Course, education, GPPA, ICA, National Auctioneers Association, summit, TTT, USPAP
Good advice I’d say.
This course is required for those wishing to take a designation course, but optional for any auctioneer to take for a good overview of the current auction industry.
The class is made up of seven modules:
- Auction History and Ethics — Reach back into auction history to learn the many origins of auctions through the ages. Also, take a look at the ethical basis all auctioneers should adapt as professionals in the industry.
- Business Analysis and Marketing — Examine the foundational needs of an auction business and how to set your business on a path to success. Analyze your current business strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats to align yourself with the current progress of the industry. Outline a business plan that will structure your success. Take a peek into marketing as it applies to your business and your auctions.
- Prospecting — Potential clients are all around you- keep your eyes on the opportunities.
- Negotiation Skills — Create win-win relationships with your clients through the process of professional negotiation.
- Contracts, Legal, & Financial Concerns — Awareness of auction laws, contracts, and your responsibilities as a business will help you stay on the path to success.
- The Auction Process — Executing a professional, timely, and organized event will keep clients and buyers asking for your business.
- Technology — Technology can be one of your most powerful business aids when applied in appropriate manners according to your business needs. Stay up-to-date with trends in the auction industry and beyond.
Those desiring to take the Designation Prerequisite Course can go here http://www.naaeducation.org/ for that as well as a comprehensive list of NAA’s educational offerings.
We wrote about NAA’s designation courses back in 2011 here https://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/auctioneer-continuing-education/ noting the importance of continuing education for auctioneers.
Further, we wrote about the merits of mandatory continuing education for auctioneers here: https://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/mandatory-auctioneer-continuing-education/
Today, those courses prefaced with the prerequisite module include:
- Accredited Auctioneer of Real Estate (AARE)
- Auction Technology Specialist (ATS)
- Benefit Auctioneer Specialist (BAS)
- Certified Estate Specialist (CES)
- Graduate Personal Property Appraiser (GPPA)
- Interpersonal Communications for Auctioneers (ICA)
- Train the Trainer (TTT)
- Uniform Standards of Property Appraisal Practices (USPAP)
Aaron Traffas as well wrote about the Designation Prerequisite Course here: http://www.auctioneertech.com/2014/naas-designation-prerequisite-course-free/
Finally, this prerequisite course is free — an even better reason for every auctioneer to enroll.
Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, CAI, AARE has been an auctioneer and certified appraiser for over 30 years. His company’s auctions are located at: Mike Brandly, Auctioneer, Keller Williams Auctions and Goodwill Columbus Car Auction. He serves as Adjunct Faculty at Hondros College of Business, Executive Director of The Ohio Auction School and Faculty at the Certified Auctioneers Institute held at Indiana University.